Jubilee Cup 2017 final Celebration

Jubilee Cup Winners 2017

OBU vs HOBM 32-19

Monday, 31 July 2017 00:27

By: Adam Blackwell

OBU Colts Green were going to have to put in a big performance if they wanted to get past the top of the table Oriental Rongotai side and book their place in the John E Kelly Memorial Final.

OBU started on the front foot, after they were awarded a penalty which was kicked into corner. The forwards set up a rolling maul from the lineout but it quickly stalled and was then spread wide to the backs. A couple of phases later Taihakurei Durie bundled his way over for the first try,7-0 to OBU after 8 minutes.

OBU continued their strong start to the game when Dylan Leney scored from a quick tap which caught Ories napping after a penalty was awarded five meters out from the line. The score now 14-0 to OBU after 14 minutes.

Only a couple minutes later Ories hit back, from a midfield scrum 40 meters out they made a break down the blindside all the way to the five meter line. OBU put up some resistance but somehow the Ories number eight emerged from a ruck with the ball and went over untouched to score. Ories had closed the gap to 14-5.

The score was then pushed back out to 24-5 after OBU fullback Michael Muir slotted a great conversion from out wide following Durie’s second try of the game.

A great kick and chase from Muir then led to an OBU scrum five meters out after a good tackle forced an Ories knock on. The smaller OBU pack were pumped up and went for the old fashioned push over but the scrum was brought down. From the resulting penalty they opted for another scrum and when the scrum went down again referee Jury Tenitenismeaton decided to award a penalty try. The score now read 31-5 to OBU after 38 minutes.

However a reoccurring theme during the first half was that OBU had all sorts of trouble trying to claim the high Ories kick offs. This lead to Ories surmounting a lot of pressure deep in the OBU half and Ories were then able to hit back with a try to make it 31-10 at the half.

The first 15 minutes of the second half saw a tight tussle as both teams were working had to control the game. Eventually Ories broke away down the left flank and were stopped just meters before the line, the ball was then quickly recycled and they had too many numbers out wide which resulted in a try in the right hand corner, 34-15 after 60 minutes.

Working their way right back into the game Ories then added another try after halfback Hinckley Siaosi took the ball from the base of the scrum and ran about 35 meters to score. The gap was now down to only two converted tries at 34-20 to OBU.

OBU did manage to wrestle back some of the ascendancy and were camped in Ories 22 for a number of minutes. Then heavy pressure led to a bad pass from Ories which was pounced on by Ben Pretty and subsequently bashed over by a pick and go from the OBU forwards.

That pushed the score out to 41-20 to OBU and that’s how it would stay. The OBU Colts Green played some great, physical rugby and deserve their opportunity to compete for the John E Kelly Memorial cup in the final next week. 


Last modified on Monday, 31 July 2017 00:30